I’ve read the story of Abraham taking Isaac to a mountain to sacrifice many times. It’s an incredible story. (Genesis 22)
Have you ever wondered what went through Isaac’s mind?
This happened, shortly after Abraham tied Isaac, and laid him on the alter he built. Isaac said, “Daddy wait”
Here are 12 questions Isaac asked his daddy (obviously all in my head in the 21st century)
- Daddy, are you remotely aware that you will be charged with murder and rot in jail for doing this?
- Daddy, you lied when I asked you where the sheep for the offering is. You said God will provide. You didn’t say “God has provided, It’s you Isaac.”
- Did God ask you to do this? I’m sure you’ll say yes, like he asked you to sleep with mum’s maid too? Then He asked you to send her away, am I correct?
- Did you ask the servants to stay behind so that they won’t tell mummy about this?
- Oh wait! Does mummy know you are doing this? I bet she doesn’t! Or maybe she does! If she doesn’t and I get to ever see her again, I’ll tell her.
- Were you lying all this while that you love me? Or the expression of your love is to kill me?
- Oh my God! You want more money and riches. Do you want to use me for blood money? (Ok, only a Nigerian child will ask that)
- Daddy are you having a laugh?
- Is this some sort of trick to see how powerful God is?
- God is about to perform a miracle, right daddy? You’ll kill me and then I won’t die. I have never seen that happen though?
- Daddy, are we immune to death in our family? You fought those kings with your servants and won. Uncle Lot didn’t die in Sodom and Gomorrah.
- I remember you circumcised all men, young and old, and they didn’t die too. Is that because we can’t die? Awesome!
So let’s do this then. Let’s die and not die.
If you were Isaac, what other questions would you have asked Abraham or what would have been going through your mind? Share in the comments